home           about           blog           archives           domain           exits           ask
 

the little princess and her rose.


Classes are suspended (again) which means for the nth day in a row, I am stuck at home drowning myself in newly downloaded tunes, Friendster, One Tree Hill, and UAAP. (I've been downloading pictures of my crushes like crazy!!) Since the good old me finished my homeworks last night (though half of me didn't want to accomplish them because I had a very strong feeling that there'll be no classes today), I am unofficially free to do whatever I want today. And with that I mean blog. Haha =) I wasn't able to update for the past few days because something was wrong with Blogger and I couldn't log in. But now, I'm here, and I'm ready to share myself to the world again. HAHA.

In English class, we're discussing The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery. I have a confession to make (hold your breath) -- I haven't read this book yet. I swear, I haven't. Probably every person I know has read it and has been inspired by the wonderful messages hidden beneath each line. I've heard of this book and I know that it really is a wonderful classic, but now that I think of it, I have no idea why I haven't had the chance to get myself a copy and read it. Oh well, perhaps now is the perfect opportunity. So anyway, we've been talking about only one part of the book in class and it's the conversation between the prince and the fox. Our teacher, Mrs. Lee, asked all of us to write down 5 quotes from the selection and explain how we understood it. It was hard since almost every sentence contained something meaningful but perhaps what really struck me the most was this line:
"It is the time you have wasted on your rose that makes your rose important."

-- the Fox

The Little Prince took care of a beautiful rose. To some, it may look ordinary and just like every other rose in the world. But because he has taken care of that rose, it becomes something of value. In this line, the wolf is telling the prince that what makes his rose more important than all of the other roses was that he has given his time for that rose, and because of that, it means something.

I guess we all have our "roses" -- something we cherish and treasure. The first time I read this line, I immediately found myself wondering what my rose is. I have a lot of important things in life, both material and insubstantial. But I guess one thing I can consider my rose, something I own and hold really close to my heart is this blog. Okay, so it may sound cheesy, but I have devoted most of my PC time for this journal. I may not be updating often, but I go around to see my visitors, constantly think of ideas for a layout, and just come up with things to write. Not many of you know this, but I've been blogging since my freshman year in high school and I strongly believe that if it wasn't for blogging, I would have probably gone berserk right now. It's true. I consider this journal as an outlet for my emotions. I have vented out my steam more than a hundred times (in more than a hundred posts) in this blog. I have expressed myself creatively (though not brilliantly, haha) in the many layouts that I have created. I'm not a journalist, but I consider myself a writer. I write because I want to write, because writing lets me express myself. And this blog has been my avenue for all my sentiments. It has connected me to the world. To some, this online journal may just be another smidgen in this vast world called the Internet. But because I have taken good care of this for almost three years now (and counting), it becomes important. It's significant. And to me, it is unlike any other blog in the world.

"Men have forgotten this truth,," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. you become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. You are responsible for your rose."

"I am responsible for my rose," the little prince repeated, so that he would be sure to remember.


The Little Prince and the Fox


So now, let me ask you.. what's your "rose"?




________________________________________________________________