home           about           blog           archives           domain           exits           ask
 

The Phantom of the Opera is there inside my mind.



Would you look at that, an actual weekend for once! I finally watched The Phantom of the Opera with my mom, papa, and tita (who took this picture) tonight. I've been waiting so long to have a break, and what better way to spend it than with an Andrew Lloyd Webber musical?

We last saw Phantom in 2009 at The Venetian in Las Vegas. But the performance tonight at the CCP was just as good, if not better. The actors were a delight to watch, and the overall effect of the sound and the set was a sensory feast. The only thing that puts the Las Vegas production a bit above this one was that the theater itself was built for Phantom, hence a bigger set and a much more realistic chandelier. Other than that, however, I found this production with much more pathos and bravado. I thought the performers were much better singers too, and every song was a delight to hear and see live.

(By the way, can I just say that in that scene where Phantom was forcing Christine into the wedding dress, all I could think of was, "But that marriage couldn't possibly be valid! For one, there's lack of consent on Christine's part! And where's the solemnizing officer?" Yes, yes, because that's how much I love Persons.)

I'm not regretting spending my weekend on this. Not at all.


No more talk of darkness, forget these wide-eyed fears.





________________________________________________________________