home           about           blog           archives           domain           exits           ask
 

On leaving.


Tomorrow, I shall leave Philippine soil and embark on my much-awaited "world tour" this 2009. First stop: Singapore & Indonesia! Haha.

One teeny tiny detail I haven't been mentioning about my life since God-knows-when is that I decided to not have an extravagant debut party for my 18th birthday. Yes, folks, the only daughter and only child will NOT have a grand celebration of her womanhood. You can wipe the awe off your faces now. Anyway, I decided on this a long time ago but I really had it finalized just a couple of years back when the sudden realization that 2009 will both be the year of my 18th birthday and my Papa's 50th. Hence, I made a proposal: instead of throwing a lavish party, why not just travel?

Contrary to popular belief, I am not a spoiled brat. I am unlike any of the poor little rich girls you see on MTV, with their lives depending on Dad's credit cards, bringing on the bitchiness and whines 24/7. So I am not one to say, "Papa, I want a party! I want a big big big big partyyyy with all my puh-retty little friends in a puh-retty little gown in a puh-retty big hotel!" (I am not suggesting, however, that people who do throw debut parties are spoiled..) Contrary to popular belief, I do care about money and how it is spent. And so, based on my opinion, it is so much more worth it to spend bucks on plane tickets (and indirectly shopping and tourist attractions) rather than on a gown I will probably never use again in my whole entire life. Contrary to popular belief, I would not want to be the center of attention for one whole night with everyone watching me dance with 18 men, being swayed by 18 mushy messages, and being critiqued by all the guests on how fat my arms are and how big my tummy is. No freakin' way. I cannot stand the attention for that long.

SOOOO.

The Singapore and Bali trips are technically not part of this proposal because we really are supposed to go there this year whether or not it is my 18th birthday-year. Two of my mom's sisters work there respectively. The last time I've been to Singapore was when I was five years old -- I was anything but a disciplined little girl. I was so hyperactive and restless, I was lucky my mom did not give up on me. I was too young to enjoy it then -- I remember the toys I bought more than the actual places we visited.


5-year-old Karla in a Singapore double-deck bus


Meanwhile, it would be my first time to go to Bali. I am psyched because from the way my aunt describes it, it seems like paradise. For real. The beaches, the temperature, the people -- very romantic. Well, I'm honestly not a beach person (for many reasons: the heat, the possible darkening of skin, and yes, my flabs :-s) but I still cannot wait! Bali sounds like a treasure to me.

We leave tomorrow evening (April 3rd, Friday) and come back after two weeks or so. Then after a few weeks, we leave for the States. Now, THAT is the supposed 18th birthday celebration trip. But details on that trip later.


(On to the profundity..)
*organizes thoughts*


Traveling is an unavoidable allusion to so many things in life. Often, traveling is associated to the idea of leaving -- leaving things, leaving home, leaving people. It is associated with closing doors behind you, never to look back on them again. With leaving comes detachment.

When you go on a journey, you get to explore so many other cultures, meet different kinds of people, and gain unbelievable experiences. When you leave the place you call home, you realize how big the world is -- and how minute a detail you are compared to the billions of other people on the planet. Your eyes are opened to numerous opportunities and options.. you see outside the little bubble you've created around yourself.

Then you come back.
And that's when you realize what you've been missing, or what you already have.

Leaving is inevitable. But it does not always mean ending things. After all has been seen, heard, said, and done, different routes are paved for us and many answers are presented to us -- it is only in separation that we recognize what is actually essential to us.




Hmm, I think this is just me expounding that the absence makes the heart grow fonder.
Hahaha! Oh well.

(Late-night blogging either makes me sabaw or makes me profound. LOL.)



I shall update soon enough.

SINGAPORE & BALI, welcome me into your arms! :)


Buona notte!
Arrivederci, filippine!~



________________________________________________________________