home           about           blog           archives           domain           exits           ask
 

Wine Night at Barcino




For our Christmas dinner this year, Louie and I decided to try something a little different. A few weeks ago, in one of his weekly meetings in Rockwell, he made a reservation in Barcino at Power Plant. We figured it would be a great way of celebrating my last semester in law school, his career progression, and also the year that was, which is definitely - for lack of a better term - one for the books.

Oddly, despite it being just a few days away from Christmas, I haven't been 100% into the Christmas cheer. I suppose it's just because the last few weeks have been about studying for finals (my final finals, so the pressure was on), that I didn't have time to really embrace the whole holiday spirit right away. But when we got inside the mall and I saw all the lights and decorations, my eyes lit up like a 7-year-old on Christmas morning! It was beautiful. Each beam was adorned with green garlands and red ribbons, and the hallways were lined with potted poinsettias. (Alliteration is awesome!) It was quite a sight; what a way to trigger all my Christmas-y emotions!


'Tis the most wonderful time of the year!






When we finally decided to have dinner, I was surprised to find out that there was only one booth - the wine cellar. All the bottles adorned the shelves, and we had the small room all to ourselves. Lovely wouldn't even begin to describe it. It was nice because we felt really ~VIP~ and special.


Juan Tree Gil :))


Louie ordered Spanish wine to pair with our cheese and chorizo platter. Admittedly, I'm not much of a wine gal (beer or Long Island iced tea is more like it, LOL) so just having something new to try was exciting. In addition, we also had seafood paella, because I was craving it. A few years ago, we used to have paella at my Wowa's house in Batangas for Christmas. Recently, however, we've just opted to check in a hotel to celebrate, since my aunt's passing and my Wowa's accident. The staycation is less of a hassle for everyone, and it's great because we get to eat out. But of course I still miss Wowa's paella, so this was a great way of being reminded of the good ol' holidays :)

The cheese was good, but to no one's surprise, I still didn't like blue cheese. #uncultured :)) It reminded me of an awkward moment of mine when we had a trip to Amish Country in Ohio a few years back. The elderly in the community were showing us their products, and being the polite (and naive) girl that I was, I tried out their samples. Wrong move to go for the "cookies-and-cream-looking" cheese! I couldn't hide the disgust on my face! And while I uttered my revulsion in straight Tagalog ("Ang panget ng lasaaaa!!"), I'm pretty sure they could tell I was not pleased. I still carry the Amish grandma's disappointed face with me every single day of my life :))

...sorry, I digress!

Anyway, I am not ashamed to say that Louie and I almost finished everything. I wish I had a better word for delicious, because it all tasted so, so good. That, or we were just tired and hungry because traffic along EDSA is terrible! And justthat in general 2016 was such a mess, so we felt like we deserved to wolf down a meal to reward ourselves for surviving it! :))

But no, really, the food and wine was fantastic.


Yes, it was scrumptious. Those chorizos - man, I could marry them! 


Surrounded by spirits ;)


Jologs Girl fun fact: This VIP room was the exact spot where James and Nadine officially became a couple! Hahahaha! :)) More than all the fancy stuff, this little trivia was what took the cake! :)) Thank goodness for Louie who understands my #fangirl heart. :))


JN or KL? :))


I guess that's it for our 4th Christmas dinner together. It was quite a year for all of us but at the end of the day, there are still many, many things to be thankful for. It's good to be reminded of that every once in a while :)

Happy holidays! ♥



________________________________________________________________