home           about           blog           archives           domain           exits           ask
 

blue week


'As Joan Didion writes in The Year of Magical Thinking, “The power of grief to derange the mind has been exhaustively noted.” Yet this derangement is something whose “cure” can only be lessened with time. It’s not considered a pathology. I was so deranged during my time in Tucson that I couldn’t even write in my journal. I felt that whatever I wrote about my father would come true, and I did not want to jinx anything. I also couldn’t have a single conversation that wasn’t punctuated by uncontrollable fits of sobbing. Even the most benign questions, Are you hungry? Do you want to go for a walk? caused my grief to flare anew.'

Suppose I Kept On Singing Love Songs Just To Break My Own Fall by Anna Pulley

'We are imperfect mortal beings, aware of that mortality even as we push it away, failed by our very complication, so wired that when we mourn our losses we also mourn, for better or for worse, ourselves. As we were. As we are no longer. As we will one day not be at all.'

The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion

'We’re not probably, put on earth to prepare, there are certain things that, only by living through them, do you, learn to live through them. And what about understanding them? Through writing about them, that’s how you start to understand them.'

Blue Nights by Joan Didion


No one knows sadness better than Joan.



________________________________________________________________