home           about           blog           archives           domain           exits           ask
 

On my bedside table.


There's nothing like the Christmas vacation to make me catch-up on my reading list.

Some I started almost a year ago, some just yesterday. Nonetheless, here are the books that I have been reveling in lately. In random order..

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
- This is probably the oldest one in my reading list. I started reading it in 2008 and up to now I still haven't finished it! Shame, really. It's just that every time I feel like reading it, I don't have it with me. It's the classic story of an older man falling for a pre-adolescent girl's nymph-like charms. It might be borderline amusing and disgusting for some but I find it a very interesting read.
Status: In Progress

Unmasqued by Colette Gale
- A very erotic and sensual re-telling of The Phantom of the Opera, my favorite musical. My Phantom phase was reawakened after we watched it on stage in Las Vegas, so when I saw this book I just had to buy it. To say that it has a different take on the story would be an understatement -- it's filled with intimacy and sexuality to the brim. It would certainly make you think twice about what happens behind those curtains and back drops in theaters.
Status: Finished

Othello by William Shakespeare
- Okay so this is for my Shakespeare class (Eng23) really, not so much for leisure. But I actually enjoyed reading not only this but all the other plays we have discussed so far. Once you get past the intimidating Elizabethan language -- and trust me, you will -- it's going to be hard pulling yourself away from it. It's remarkable how Shakespeare's description of human nature is still very much pertinent today.
Status: Finished

I Will Always Love You by Cecily Von Ziegesar
- Allow me to indulge in my guiltiest chick-lit pleasure. Yes, behind that very popular television show was the book series that sparked the raging of my adolescent hormones and fueled my love for New York City. And before anyone asks again, yes I do love the books more than the show. (I've only seen the first season of the show by the way.) Anyway, after the main characters graduated from high school the author decided to start a "new season" and focused on the new set of characters taking their places. I was very dismayed, but I figured it would be pushing the envelope to extend it until their college years. So imagine my surprise when I found out that they were coming back for one last time. This book was a compilation of all the four years after high school, with the New Year's Day celebrations as the focal point. While reading it, I had that sense of familiarity, that eerie feeling of "suddenly everything has changed, but then again, they haven't." They're all grown up however they're still the same old people we've come to know. It was a great ending for me, how loose strings were finally tied and broken fences mended. I'm going to miss this series, really.
Status: Finished

Persuasion by Jane Austen
- This is Austen's last completed novel which showcases her more mature approach to writing and also life. It deals with the reality and consequences brought upon by social classes and familial loyalty, and how it interferes with our personal relationships. And yes, in a nutshell it's about first love -- does it really go away? The age old question that would most probably get a very clever, if not blunt answer by Austen.
Status: In Progress

Summer by Edith Wharton
- I've always been wanting to read this but never really got around to buying it until last week. It's a story about a young girl's sexual awakening, her journey as she deals with self-discovery and understanding. It's one of those very controversial novels back when it was published in 1907 but is now considered a classic in American literature today.
Status: In Progress

The Proxy Eros by Mookie Katigbak
- I'm always more than happy when I receive a book as a present. This one was a gift to me by one of my friends, someone who certainly knows me well enough to give me this. It's a collection of poems on love, sensuality, and desire. I have only started appreciating poetry well after my CW100 class last semester, and I am certain this book would keep me up all night.
Status: In Progress


I can't believe I have gone several months without picking up a good book unrelated to school, but I don't care how long it's been -- I just want to drown myself in them all day (and all night) long and compensate for lost time. I guess this is how make-up sex feels like? Because not like I would know :))

Okay, I'm going back to bed. To read.

Labels:




________________________________________________________________