home           about           blog           archives           domain           exits           ask
 

the psychology of a haircut?


According to the book Rapunzel's Daughters: What Women's Hair Tells Us About Women's Lives by Rose Weitz:
Hair is one of the first things other people notice about us -- and is one of the primary ways we declare our identity to others. In both our personal relationships and our relationships with the larger world, hair sends an immediate signal that conveys messages about our gender, age, social class, and more.
It isn't really surprising that hair matters to a lot people, especially to us girls. It is after all our crowning glory, and especially in our generation's ever-evolving conceit, we cannot be blamed for valuing the part of ourselves that defines our personality more than any other body part. We show it off, we flaunt it, we consider it as part of our signature look -- that's how significant it is for some of us.

Some say getting a new haircut is like turning over a new leaf -- it's a sign that you desperately want to change your life for the better. More often than not, a drastic haircut comes after a bad break-up, or a sudden loss, or anything major happening in your life because of an unexpected turn of events. Or it could also be because a certain celebrity suddenly made it famous. Take the "Rihanna" look for example, which I am certain we are all aware of. I know of a lot of people who have cut their luscious, long locks to the now popular bob because the then-morbid cut is now considered cool, and you can walk around the city sporting the chin-length bob without having to be called "monay". Whatever reason it is, it just usually is associated with change.

Honestly, I'm not really a fan of change -- just as much as I dislike the overused "Change is constant," quote. I know that it is inevitable, and it is also healthy. But we frequently seem to have this notion that change is imposed on us, like life is the one altering the course of things in our daily routines. I think it doesn't always work that way. Sometimes it is up to us, if we want to transform ourselves into better persons, better individuals. When life gets boring, we have the option to go against the current and do something. We can say goodbye to our otherwise monotonous life if we choose to.

I just did. Okay, so nothing significant really took place.. but I do have my reasons! (aside from vanity purposes, harhar) I'm about to start a new life (i.e. college! O_o) so why not start with a new look? And besides, it's so freakin' hot! So yesterday, I said goodbye to my waist-length hair and hello to.. uhm, well, I don't know what this cut is called, but I'm pretty glad with it. :)

Ayun eh! HAHA :)


P.S. Hindi ako magpapa-cheeseburger but I did promise Ayiene I'll treat her fishballs and isaw sa UP. At yung buko juice ko ha? I won't forget. Haha. :P



________________________________________________________________