home           about           blog           archives           domain           exits           ask
 

Hello, Baguio weather





The cold weather of the last few weeks is a thing of pure joy. 

It reminds me so much of Baguio - and what a wonderful, twisted kind of chill it brings down my spine.

The last time I was there this April, I had no idea what was going to happen to me. I was torn between decisions, and life was suddenly at a crossroads by my own doing. I had to make a choice, and I had to make one quick. But before all that, I had Baguio - the strawberries, the clear skies, the comfort of the chill. In hindsight, it was the calm before the storm.

Nothing was ever the same after Baguio.

But I can say the same for someone else too. 

He probably had no idea that buying ube for some acquaintance back in Manila would turn his world upside down. Where he was at that point in his life that May, if he was at a crossroads too, I can't say exactly. But he was elsewhere, in another place that probably had no direction yet. Then he picked up that jar and decided it might lead him somewhere. It got him here.

We didn't know it at the time, but we probably both embraced the cold with a sense of hope and longing - that one day the chill can be shared, that the coolness will one day lead to calm.


The frigid breeze is cruel to a lot of people, but it's comforting for some of us. It reminds me of Baguio, and it reminds me of the many things that came after. Mostly the good things. I had no idea they were going to come, but come and linger they did. 

So thank you for this weather, January. It reminds me of the cold - the cold that bites, and the cold that leads you to something warm. The cold that lingers, and the cold that brings you home.



________________________________________________________________